Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Before and After

Many people have asked specifically what kind of surgery I had. I had spinal fusion. That is where they fuse metal rods to your spine to straighten/stabilize it. If you're wondering why I had to have this done, here's why:This is my spine. This is my spine all curved out of whack. Pretty impressive, eh? I had a 56 degree curvature, which is pretty severe. Looking at the x-ray, it's easy to see how I was having a hard time breathing and was in so much pain. It doesn't look good.

BUT, thanks to modern medicine, I'm pretty much as-good-as-new! I have a LONG way to go to recover fully, but once I do I should be back to my regular routine and then some. Here's the after picture:
Yikes. My spine looks like some weird Frankenstein experiment. They (my doctors) fused 2 titanium rods to 11 of my vertebrae. So I now have 2 metal rods and 22 screws in my back. The most commonly asked question is "will you set off metal detectors?" Haha. Answer? I don't know. We'll have to wait and see!

Until then, I'm just focused on resting and getting better. I have made it out of the house a few times, and hope to do that more in the next few weeks. Looking forward to a nice and relaxing summer! Thanks (again!) for all the well wishes!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Clare MY name is Nils and I'm looking at your spine surgery and it looks similar to mine, I have 2 18 inch rods and 24 screws, it's been 8 months since my surgery and I still have a lot of pain, how long did it take for your pain to leave, this was my 7th spine surgery, Thanks