Sunday, June 26, 2011

Organization station

Have I told you that I love organizing? Because I do. Like, seriously. If I were not a Kindergarten teacher, I would be a professional organizer and go into people's homes and get paid to organize all their stuff. Luckily, being a Kindergarten teacher is often a LOT like being a professional organizer. My favorite bookstore in town closed back in December :( but the one good side to that is that in it's place we are getting a Container Store! Until then, I am usually a bit creative when it comes to organizing things in my classroom.

Here is one of the bookshelves in my classroom:
It has all the "series" books sorted into tubs, then the tubs are labeled with the name of the books and a picture. You will find a lot of pre-made labels for book boxes which are great, but they just have the words. K students aren't reading yet (for the most part) and need the picture to go with the words. My kids NEVER put a book in the wrong place because it's pretty obvious where it should go. Time is precious and if I don't have to be constantly re-organizing my books, I think it's a good thing.

One goal for this upcoming school year is to have a new book center that has leveled books out on display. I'm working on it some this summer and hope to have it up by the time school starts. Stay tuned!

No comments: