Saturday, January 22, 2011

Little by little

One of my New Year's resolutions involves one of these:Yes, I know it's cliche to vow to lose weight in the new year. But since I have this surgery coming up in May, I have a pretty big incentive. The more in shape I am in May, the better recovery will be. To help myself, I made a fun little chart that hangs on my wall. It breaks down my big goal into small, manageable pieces.

Tonight I just zipped up a pair of jeans I bought 9 months ago. They fit! True, in a month or so I hope they're too loose. But right now, they fit and I'm celebrating! Being so excited about my 5 lb. weight loss made me reflect on other things that just take time.

Take reading. You're not born knowing how to read. It takes time. And a lot of practice. Sort of like weight loss. I need to remember this when I get frustrated that my kids aren't automatically reading on a level 2 or 3 (where they should be at this point in the year). The important thing to remember is to not give up and keep practicing. After all, I didn't give up when I didn't lose any weight last week. I kept working and this week I did.

So we'll keep working on the reading thing at school. And I'll keep working on the weight loss thing at home.

1 comment:

Hillary said...

What a GREAT perspective! Keep up the good work!!