Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Teacher "perks"

We all know teachers are not in it for the money. If you want to be rich and never worry about finances, do not be a teacher. I (and all my colleagues) do not do it for the money, we do it because we love what we do. You have to love it to be surrounded by 15 whiny 5 year olds all day long and willingly go back for more. And I do seriously love it (sometimes I have to remind myself of it though!).

But there are some "perks" that come along with being a teacher. I've discovered there are many places that offer teacher discounts/benefits. Here's what I've found so far:

1. IRS- you can get a tax refund on school supplies that you buy. Last year I got $250 back!!
2. JCrew- 10% off, makes a bigger difference than you would think
3. Ann Taylor LOFT- 15% off if you join the "Loft Loves Teachers" club, and you get extra coupons throughout the year
4. various bookstores- range from 10-20% off, depending on the store. Most only off the discount on books for your class, but hey, a discount is a discount!
5. Sprint- not sure about other cell phone carriers, but Sprint gives you 15% off
6. YMCA- 20% off. It's actually cheaper for me to belong to all the Y's in my area now rather than just my center :)

Any other great discounts that you know about?? We teachers can use every extra penny!!

No comments: