Sunday, July 3, 2011

What's cookin' in the kitchen?

My Kindergarten classroom is lucky enough to have a "home living" center. It has a small refrigerator and sink, and I've gotten a few toy foods, pots, etc. for the kids to play with. They LOVE this center and I love that it helps them expand their imagination and vocabulary.

It's super cute, but a little boring back in the home living corner (doesn't help that it's right next to the bathroom). I decided to make some curtains to jazz it up. You can't see, but to the right of the toy sink is the real classroom sink that needed some curtains to hide the pipes underneath. I got some super cute cloth to make very simple curtains to hide the pipes. Then I set to work on this:


They are curtains to go in the home living center over the "window" (which I'll make out of posterboard or something) that's over the little sink. The ruffle fabric is what I used for the big curtains, so they go together. Plus, they're adorable!! I can't wait to get them in my classroom. Until now, here's a visual to help you see what I'm talking about :

What do you think? Not to toot my own horn, but I'm pretty proud of how they are turning out. And I'm impressed with myself that I figured out how to do the ruffle without my mom's help. Makes me want to do more sewing projects. In a few weeks I can get into my classroom and you better believe these are the first new things going up!

No comments: