Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Bonjour Canada!

You might be thinking, Canada? How does that apply to teaching? It doesn't- this is a teaching-free post!! I know, can you believe it? I'm actually posting about something other than teaching. However, teaching does play into this because over Fall Break (a whole week off!!) I got to go visit my sister.

My sister is 3 years younger than I am, so she's fresh out of college. She went straight into grad school at McGill University, in Montreal, Quebec. To reference Glee, "she's the smart one. I'm the pretty and smart one." No, just kidding JC! I love you and you are both smart and pretty :)

It was a fabulous visit- we had great weather to walk around, tons of time to visit and catch up, and I got to see her in her "element." All in all, a great visit.

Me in front of the pretty fall foliage on campus

Olympic Park- this is the stadium and observatory tower from the 1976 Olympics

This is the view on the way up to the top of the tower


My lil sis at the cool farmer's market. We spent the afternoon wandering around and had the most delicious crepes for lunch- yum!

And then we had '80s night. Here we are in our '80s glory!

One of the coolest parts of the trip was the whole "bilingual country" thing. Everyone in Montreal speaks French AND English. I mean, I speak English and I studied French, but I can't switch between the two very easily. My mind either is thinking English or French. Well people in Montreal just switch back and forth mid sentence with each other. It is the coolest thing! I was trying really hard not to stare at a bunch of girls on the subway, but it was so fascinating!! If you don't speak French, you're ok because everyone that you would deal with (waiters, store people, etc.) speaks both and welcomes you with "Bonjour, hi!" So cool

No comments: