Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sometimes, you just have to spell it out

I teach Kindergarten. Duh, you knew that. But I bet you didn't know how explicit I have to be when I give directions. As in, before you go to your seat, make sure you stand up. Simple things. Things that come naturally as an adult but have to be spelled out for 5 year olds. Take the bathroom for example.

I'm working in a beautiful new building. Everything in my room is beautiful and new and pristine. And I would like for it to stay that while for at least a little while. Including the bathroom. So on the wall in my bathroom is this:

The girls' sign is pretty straight forward. It just helps them remember to close the door and pull their pants up before they come out. (Which they forget all the time). But take a closer look at boy's step 4:
Apparently this is a hard step to master. They pee ALL OVER THE PLACE!! Like seriously, how hard is it to pee in the toilet? A few days ago during rest time a girl when in, then came right back out saying "Teacher, they're pee in the bathroom!" I went in, and sure enough, pee all over the place. Pee that could only have come from a boy. I immediately summoned all my boys to come to the bathroom, where I proceeded to give a lesson on how to use the toilet the correct way.

Hopefully now they get it. This was their 2nd bathroom lesson. They'll probably forget again. But at least they have nice step-by-step instructions to help them out if they forget!



2 comments:

Tara @ Tara Being Tara said...

Hahaha... and EWWWW!

Anonymous said...

Well, Step #4 only says, "Pee standing up." It doesn't say, "Pee into the toilet!" vague instructions!