Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Center time!

A huge part of our day in my classroom revolves around centers. We do language centers, math centers and free choice centers just about every day. My language centers are the most organized, so I wanted to share with you how I do it.

Here's a pic of the set-up on my board:
Each center has a picture, so that the kids who aren't reading yet can still know where to go. I have a few centers that are kept in baskets that change some times, so those centers are just pictured with the color of the basket (blue crayon=blue basket). The kids names are next to what center they go to that day. Each morning I come in and take the picture at the bottom, move them all down and then the bottom goes to the top. Its so great because kids can just look and see where they're going, and I don't have to keep up with it!

Some of my centers that don't really change are: magnets, book center, computers, listening and puzzles. These stay the same, but the skill at each changes as the year goes on. For example, at the beginning of the year at magnets students are working on building their names and matching letters. The middle of the year they're making sight words. And now at the end of the year they're creating whole sentences. I love seeing the progress!

This is a system I will definitely take with me to my new job. Can't wait to see what that classroom looks like!

(note- I just had my evaluation meeting and my principal noted how she loved this organization system I have going! yay!)

No comments: